Sts. Vartanantz Church

SaintVartanantzMED

Sts. Vartanantz Church was founded in 1957 and the Church was consecrated on May 2, 1959. Affiliated with the Catholicate of Cilicia, Sts. Vartanantz was established in 1957 by the petition of parishioners in Northern New Jersey, who wanted to have their own church. The Church was named Sts. Vartanantz to commemorate the heroic struggle of its patron saints. In 451 the Armenian army led by Vartan Mamigonian, fought against the fire-worshipping King Yazgert, who wanted to force the Armenians to turn back from their Christian faith.

Our Church is a beautiful brick building with a large wooden hand carved door, opening into a vestibule with two stained glass windows. There is a small office in the vestibule and another larger office with three stained glass windows.

 A balcony situated above the church entrance was originally used for the Church Choir, is now used for the congregation.The large stained glass windows represent both spiritual centers, the cathedral of Holy Etchmiadzin in Armenia and the cathedral of St Gregory the Illuminator of Antelias. Inside the Church there are 12 windows representing Christ’s Baptism and Resurrection and the saints of the Armenian Church.